The school was founded in Milan in 1935 by the tailor Giulio Marangoni, and became a Scuola Professionale Artistica or “professional art school” in 1942. At first the school trained mainly pattern makers and seamstresses; in the 1970s and 1980s it turned towards fashion design, product development and marketing.
A London campus was opened in a former textile factory at 30 Fashion Street, Spitalfields, in 2003.
In 2010 there were about 2200 students of 70 nationalities in three campuses.
In 2011 Career Education Corporation sold the Istituto Marangoni to Providence Equity Partners for a price estimated between 17 and 20 million dollars.
The school runs undergraduate, postgraduate and short courses specializing in:
To see the complete list of their courses visit their website.
Among the main requirements for candidate applying to their fashion, art and design schools are academic qualifications and any other academic references. In addition it is advisable to schedule an orientation meeting during which candidates will be interviewed about their previous experiences, aspirations, language skills and real potential for growth. The programmes in English Language are subject to specific levels of English proficiency. Students requiring a Tier 4 General visa to study in the Uk will be required to present IELTS for UKVI (ACADEMIC) test results.
To excel as a centre of professional and creative learning in the Fashion, Art and Design fields; to nourish international industries, providing talented Istituto Marangoni graduates from all over the world.
They strive to achieve this by:
- offering an extensive and detailed educational portfolio that is constantly updated to match industry demands and evolution
- achieving the highest academic standards with modern and dynamic curricula focused on results
- integrating the spirit of ‘Italianess’ into the experience of students on a daily basis through both curricula and the School experience
- celebrating the global and multicultural reach of Italian culture through Fashion, Art and Design
- supporting and developing the potential of their teaching and administrative staff, by means of constant and punctual training
- placing Istituto Marangoni at the centre of the Fashion, Art and Design cultures, thanks to their excellent selection of locations in leading world cultural capitals
- further strengthening historical and recent connections with the most important companies and personalities in the luxury Fashion, Art and Design market
Working with the most interesting names in fashion and design, teachers are able to pass on their expertise to train the excellence of tomorrow’s industry professionals, enabling them to contextualize classroom learning in the realities of the marketplace. The path includes constant contact with the best companies in fashion and design, who look to the Istituto for new individuals to work in their companies.
In addition to a variety of both long and short courses in fashion and design in the established schools, the new school in Florence will include an intense programme of studies dedicated to art, encompassing History of Art, Art Management and Multimedia Art.
Students at Istituto Marangoni are given the best tools to stimulate their own growth and are equipped to confidently face the working world. Courses consist of constant contact through the faculty with the most important companies in the sector.
In the schools in Milan, Florence, Paris, London and Shanghai, students from all over the world meet and interact through a continuous exchange of ideas, projects, stimuli and vision. There is one common denomination to this experience, which is the evolution of an aesthetic value that contributes to clarifying the future choices of profession for their students.
Istituto Marangoni talented students have learned in class the know-how and essential expertise to undertake a successful working path and to develop their career. Istituto Marangoni aims to become a reference point for the alumni who wish to give their professional life a new chance. Born out of that purpose, I’M Career is an exclusive service allowing them not only to look for job opportunities on the Istituto Marangoni Job Board, but also to request a custom made counselling service from the headhunters and experts in the field working with the School.